Friday 27 September 2013

A Conversation with 13-87

Hi, can you introduce yourself?
Hey, I’m 13-87. Bass player and backup vokillist of Die Deader. I like horror movies, and digging up dates by the moonlight.


Really?
Yep


Works for me. So can you tell me more about your band?
Well, we’re a horror rock band. We’re still working on a drummer and vokillist, still have to dig those up but, we already have Graves Overkill and Chomps. Both great guitarists! Very lucky to have them in our ranks. As well, we have a great artist in Lorenn Piccinin who's talent can be seen on the art that we used for our buttons!


Sounds great but how can you have a band without at least a singer?
Well, we all have ideas and I have been writing a lot over the past 8 – 9 years from every time we’ve tried to put this band together. Thus, there is a lot of material that just needs to be recorded and heard by all!


Nice! Can we have a taste?
There are some lyrics that have been posted on our facebook page (facebook.com/diedeader) that you can check out.


Sweet! So, who are some of your favorite bands in the scene? Inspirations for you and your band?
Well, there's the Misfits for sure! Anyone doing this kind of music must be inspired by them. They were the originals. Alice Cooper, the godfather of it all! Rob Zombie, Blitzkid, who were true masters of their craft! Mister Monster, the Murderdolls whom I was introduced to way back when back in ghoul school by a dear friend of mine along with HIM. As well Black Sabbath, the original metal band! Love all eras of the band! Dio, Wednesday 13, Slayer, Kiss whom I've been a huge fan of since I was a kid! I mean, they were like super heroes and monsters on stage with their look! Iron Maiden, Metallica, Darrow Chemical Company, Danzig, Order of the Fly, Calabrese, Serpenteens, Gotham Road, Harley Poe, Johnny B. Morbid ….the list could go on!


Just music?
Movies, books, comics….all horror related stuff! (laughs) The classic Universal monster movies, Hammer Horror movies, 80s slasher, cheesy horror movies, zombie movies, giallo films, especially films by Dario Argento! Classic shows like Hilarious House of Frightenstein and Tales from the Crypt and Cryptkeeper. I loved those shows as a kid! American Horror Story is a great show! Picks up the slack of the Walking Dead although the comics are still pretty awesome! My favorite author has to be Clive Barker, the man is just brilliant and poetic. Love Lovecraft, Poe and King too!


You mentioned comics…
I love the humor of Deadpool and the Goon, Daredevil is awesome, one of my all time favorites, Punisher, Hellboy, B.P.R.D., the Walking Dead which I already mentioned, Hack/Slash, the Living Corpse, Spawn and Army of Darkness…I’m a huge fan of all things Evil Dead!


What is your current assessment of the scene?
Stronger then ever! I mean! Look at the Ghouls Night Out Festival! It draws people from around the world, creating an online community/family that brings all these misfits together in one place. Matt Pathetic, if you see this, take a bow for what you created!


 Any current releases that you recommend and/or that you’re looking forward to?
Well the new Darrow Chemical Company ep Plastic Smile is off the charts! So freaking good! Black Cat Attack’s Vamparty is amazing! Vagora’s last album is their best one! They may not be horror rock per say but fuck it! So awesome! Serpenteens released a great album this summer too! Same with the Atom Age Vampires! 1313 Mockingbird Lane is a killer song! Revisited released a great ep, same with Shadow Windhawk's Tales from the Black Lodge ep which has been on continue rotation since it came out! As for what I’m looking forward to? Well there's Robby Bloodshed’s new ep which should be intense! Argyle Goolsby's new ep I’m expecting to be great, I mean, everything he does is! Trixion mentioned something about a solo ep! Well, that's what it sounded like. That and a new Mister Monster album has been talked about, both of these would be very much welcomed in my opinion! Oh! And the new Calabrese album! Can’t wait to listen to that! Johnny B. Morbid's first album in like, 5 or 6 years and Harley Poe's new album has me pretty excited too! Danzig's talk of a cover's album should be interesting to see what he chooses to cover. I expect there to be a Doors and Elvis song but, what else will be included? As well, the Black Sabbath live DVD, new Order of the Fly and the new Wednesday 13 DVD/live album...from the track listing to the artwork it has me pretty excited!


Any parting words before I leave you to go back to your crypt?
Like our facebook page. We will be making lots of noise soon! Trust me! You won’t be sorry when this monster rises from it’s slumber!


Thank you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment