Monday 15 June 2015

Robby Bloodshed - Leave Them Hooked

Okay, so he has a new look...are we over it yet? Good! Robby Bloodshed is one of the most prolific and hardest working men in the genre between his solo output and him playing with so many bands. He is also a man who wears his influences on his sleeve as you can see and hear. From the back cover to the cover at the end of the album, this release SCREAMS Queen but, it has more of a Ramones feel to it. Hell,  the opening of "You're Welcome" reminds me of the Ramones song "Strength to Endure". Is either of this bad? NOPE! I love Queen and I love the Ramones like I love my Misfits so, any combination of these 3 bands is magical in my opinion. From the opening notes to the last, Robby has expanded his music and matured in a way only he can; he never settles for releasing the same album twice and this album is the next step in that evolution, easily topping what he has done before. So yes, this is his best album yet! Standouts include the opener "I'm Going On", "Last One Alive", "Senile", "I Know Why", easily the anthem of 2015 "Under Me", "You're Welcome", the classic "Murder Mile", "The Thrill Kill" and the great cover of the Queen classic "I Want to Break Free". I cannot wait personally to see where he goes next with his solo releases as he's always looking to one up himself and I am glad that there are artists out there who do that and evolve when it is so much easier to keep releasing the same album over and over whether you change the title of songs or not. Like the cover, the music will just suck you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment