Tuesday 5 July 2016

A Conversation with Johnny B. Morbid

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to do this again. In case there is a reader here who doesn’t know a thing, can you please introduce yourself? 
 I'm Carmen Ugaro (aka Johnny B. Morbid). I am the founder of Johnny B. Morbid, former bassist of Michale Graves & Marky Ramone's former drum tech.  

Let us address the elephant in the room as you announced, that this October, will mark the final Johnny B. Morbid show. What went into that decision to end it? 
I always said I would throw in the towel if nothing "big" happened by the time I turned 30. I've dedicated more than half of my life to music so I feel as though I need some time for myself. I'm closing the door, but not locking it. 

Is there a chance we may get solo acoustic shows? I don’t want to think of a world without new Johnny B. Morbid material! 
I suppose that would be something to consider if there is any kind of demand & people are willing to book that sort of thing, but I'm not going out of my way to set up any shows or tours. 

Anything in the vault? 
I may possibly play 1 show next year to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of my 3rd album (Calling All Monsters) where we'd perform the album in its entirety...but that is a huge "maybe" right now. 

On top of the solo albums, you are also a part of Atomic Werewolf. How is that project coming along? 
Slowly, but surely. It's hard to get 7 band members + the engineer on the same schedule. It is coming together though. We hope to release the debut album before 2017. 

Going back to the music of Johnny B. Morbid, I want to know, how you got Lloyd Kaufman in your music video!? 
The director of the "Forever" music video had worked with Lloyd previously so he reached out to see what it would take to have him be involved. 

Let us take a walk back through memory lane shall we? When I first got into your music you were a one man band. That has since morphed into a full band. How did this come about? 
Well my first 3 albums are just me on everything except for 2 songs on Calling All Monsters. I first really started incorporating the drummer (Archie Panic) into the studio recordings in 2008 on Some Things Are Better Off Undead, but I also played drums on some tracks. That album was also the 1st to include Count Vlad Cadmus on a few guitar solos. The reason for this is because they are much better players than I am. My 2009 release, Monsterpiece actually featured a total of 4 drummers including myself. 2013's Welcome To Die! featured 2 drummers & 2015's Fall of the Cicada featured Miles Austin on drums. I wrote all of the songs both musically and lyrically though aside from some guitar solos and I only gave a little direction to the drummers, but 90% of what you hear is what they came up with. I performed guitar, bass & lead vocals on all Johnny B. Morbid recordings, but Fall Of The Cicada also featured Christopher Jay on some acoustic guitars, Brian Morelli on piano/keyboards + some backing vocals and Count Vlad Cadmus on some guitar solos & backing vocals. A good friend and former bandmate Rick Flanegan also did some backing vocals on that album. He was also involved with Monsterpiece & Welcome To Die! as a co-producer. 

Over the years, you have played with or shared the stage with some awesome musicians. In this two part question (and since technically you are still active); Is there anyone that you have played with in the past that you would like to work with again in some capacity and, in the second part, is there anyone living or dead that you would love to work with that you haven’t? A dream collaboration? 
There is no one I've played with in the past that I would ever work with again under any circumstance. A dream collaboration for me would be to work with Mike Patton for sure. 

As an artist, what inspires you (movies, music, comics, books, etc.)? What got you into this? 
I was raised on bands like Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Pantera, Metallica & Exodus so that has a lot to do with what I got into on my own when I was growing up. I listen to everything from The Ramones to Behemoth to Rosemary Clooney. I don't limit myself to what I listen to or to how I write. I never cared if my songs could be categorized or marketable...I only cared if they were good or not. I'm also a huge Marvel fan and have been since way before it was "cool." I used to collect action figures as a kid, make costumes of superheroes I wanted to be for Halloween because they didn't exist in stores and I even got to take a tour of the Marvel headquarters in NYC when I was 12 or so. My parents also used to take me to local comic conventions. This was long before the cosplay phenomenon. 

In the past, I’ve asked people their current assessment of the scene. Instead of that, are there any new artists or bands in the Horror Rock/Punk genre that you think people should know? Someone who is exciting you with the music they make? 
I can honestly say that I have not been genuinely "wowed" by anything since Calabrese released 13 Halloweens & Traveling Vampire Show. The genre has grown stale & painfully predictable in my eyes. This is why I began to stray from my horror punk roots. 

Are there any new releases that you are looking forward to (movies, music, etc.)? 
Always looking forward to Marvel films and I'm excited about Boys Night Out's upcoming release. 

One top of all this, you teach music! Is there ever a moment that you want to smash a guitar over someone’s head? 
Haha Never. I don't get frustrated with my students. They learn & practice at their own pace which is out of my control. 

Okay, in all seriousness, what is the song that people ask you to teach them the most often? 
None, it's always different stuff depending on the student. I've taught anything from the Zelda theme to E-Town Concrete to Alan Parsons Project. 

Thank you once again for taking the time to do this! Are there any parting words you have for the readers?
Never give up...never surrender!

No comments:

Post a Comment