Tuesday 25 October 2016

Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do The Time Warp Again

So, let me preface this by saying how much I love the original. The original Rocky Horror Picture Show is one of my all time favorite movies that I don't know how many times I have seen (enough to know every word of the soundtrack) and was VERY skeptical when they announced a remake of the movie. This is a movie that so many love AND are just as obsessed, if not more so, than me. So, I found the beginning well done as, it's basically saying, we are going to try for something different. At times it seems like a shot for shot remake and at other times it does try to stretch out to be its own thing though it is a made for TV movie for Fox so, a lot of stuff had to change. The positives are the singing and songs were great (very hard to screw up the classics) and most of the casting was well done. I am glad that they included Tim Curry as, he helped define what made the original so great. I also loved how they had the "audience" taking in the movie. They captured the spirit of the fans perfectly and helped to pump us up to get us excited for parts. Now, the bad. The guy who played Riff Raff (who's name escapes me at the moment and I am too lazy to look it up on the internet) seemed like he was making fun of the part. There's a difference between having fun and not taking it seriously....and with such an iconic role you should be taking it seriously instead of making fun of everything. Same goes for the guy playing Dr. Scott. He seems to be making fun of the movie instead of playing a critical role in the film. Also, the most iconic part, during the "Time Warp" it fell flat! Like right on its face and it was hard to recoup from!  This is a part that is treasured, iconic, loved and maybe the part that people know when you mention the movie. THE DANCERS HAD A HARD ENOUGH TIME DANCING TO A SONG THAT TELLS YOU WHAT TO DO! IT STARTS WITH A JUMP TO THE LEFT NOT FALLING ON THE FLOOR! So many instances where they seemed to build to something and make it good then, fall flat! It did start good and there are moments but, I think it is when I hear the songs. The songs made the movie and helped to save what a disaster that it really could have been. Overall, I'd have to say the movie was not a total disaster but not that great. If I graded it, it would be D MAYBE a C as the original is fare more superior then this new one. Hollywood, listen to me, GET ORIGINAL IDEAS INSTEAD OF REMAKING EVERYTHING! It's hard and not worth it to remake something iconic and loved. It will never come close to the original and impossible to capture what made it so iconic originally. Why do the time warp again if it ends up like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment