Tuesday 31 May 2016

69 Eyes - Universal Monsters

I know I may have told this story before but, in case I haven't or you haven't heard it before, I will tell it again. Back in the day, when I was getting into Horror Rock, my friend would search Myspace (in the days before Facebook) looking for new bands to satisfy our ghoulish tastes. Among the awesome bands he found and we discovered, was the 69 Eyes who had just come out with their awesome Devils album. I have been hooked since! They have released solid album after solid album since, and this is no different. Sharing its name with something close and dear to all of us monster kids (you and old alike) we have Universal Monsters. All the hallmarks of their signature sound is here, great songs with melodies included. The Helsinki Vampires blend of Horror and Goth Rock is something you either love or hate. This may not draw new fans but it will delight the fan base it already has. The album is solid from beginning to end and I am glad about it. These guys have been going so long that you may fear the quality dropping off...but it never does. Standouts include "Dolce Vita", "Jet Fighter Plane", "Lady Darkness", "Miss Pastis", "Shallow Graves", "Jerusalem", "Never", "Blue" and "Rock n' Roll Junkie". So let these vampires in or else they will find a way to get into your ears and take over your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment