Friday 6 November 2015

A Conversation with Peter DeRaven



Hello and thank you for doing this again. For those who don’t know a thing, can you please introduce yourself? 
Peter DeRaven Lead vocals and song writer for the Rhode Island  based band VAGORA. 

So, first and foremost, How is Lust of Lilly Chapter 3 coming along? What sort of things should we, the fans, expect? Any tidbits? 
It's a fitting end. I have said in other interviews that  the 3 parts of this series of EPs were to sort of cope with loss. Anger, retaliation and moving forward. This final disk is a forward step. Its heavy it features all members writing. 4 of us have lead vocals on this EP which is a sign of this being a band, a unit, all parts functioning as one. 

Lets talk about the upcoming Live in Studio Acoustic album you guys are doing. How does an idea like this and the Live in Studio idea come about? How important is it for you to have the fans involved? 
Well after the live in the studio CD we did we have been getting asked for a part 2 which we did a similar idea of letting the fans pick the songs. The fans input is great because with well over 70 songs its nice to know which songs people are digging and may effect our live future sets. We wanted to do an acoustic version of our debut album Agoraphobic for the 5th anniversary but couldn't get some of the previous members involved on the same page. The acoustic idea stuck we just decided to let it be the fans choice of songs.
 
Any surprising choices?  
Yes. Jesse our guitarist had his work cut out for him on a few tracks. I know "Time In Reverse" was a cool choice. 

Now, anyone who listens to Vagora wouldn’t call you a straight up a Horror Rock band like most others as you MAY have a song like “Ginger’s Gone” on the album but, a more personal set of songs right after. However, you are such a part of the genre and loved by fans of it. Why do you think that is? 
It's a simple answer I think. We have always respected the horror scene and the fans. It's were we got our start . We never wanted to be in a genre but would never turn away from a scene that enjoyed what we do. The fans of the Horror scene aren't all one style loving idiots. They enjoy all sorts of music. We write real music. It strikes a chord with the horror fans and other fans. Respecting where we got our start is why I think the fans have stuck it out with us even through our sounds change. 

You are the main singer in Vagora. However, you have always surrounded yourself with others who can carry a tune. With that said, what is your favorite Vagora song that you don’t sing? The one you love to rest your pipes to? 
Very true I'll be the first one to say I'm not the most talented singer in VAGORA. Jesse Nameless has really shown what an excellent vocalist he is. "Gallow On The Door" is just amazing. I'll always be a Kylie Discord fan. The song "My last Impression" and her backing vocals on 'it's not you that its happening to' are just haunting and beautiful at the same time. Robby Bloodshed, Jesse Nameless and Jonny Whitehurse all have a lead vocal track with this new EP and I think its some of the best stuff I've heard from all of them. 

With that said, with Vagora you have an extended list of songs from so many releases. Is there one song that you think should always be in the set list no matter what? 
You know that's the hardest part of being in the band for this long. We try to mix our set up as much as possible with older and new stuff. I'd say "Agoraphobic" and "Some/ Most" are staples at this point. "Rolling Skulls" and "Emeralds" too. 

From DVDs to albums, shirts and everything in between, you guys always have tons of merch for the fans to choose from. Where do you come up with all of these ideas? 
We watch what works and what doesn't. What products sell for other bands. The DVDs are cool as we have access to video equipment due to our bassist being a video student. So that makes a nice product. Shirts and art designs are mostly myself , Jesse , and Robby. Robby has worked for us with art and layout stuff even before he was in the band. Honestly for me I just get the ideas in my head from wherever they come from. I don't question it. I'll get a mental picture and run with it. 

Speaking of two of them, how is the book of lyrics and the potential documentary coming along? What stumbling blocks do you face putting a project like these together? 
The book is still being worked on it's something I'm really taking my time to make right. I have permission to make it a complete book so I think once I have some more down time I will send that to the editor . The documentary is on hold at the moment a lot of film has been shot. We have ran into a snag with a few former members participation. That would be the biggest issue. I only want to do this if all influential members were involved. Hopefully we can get back in to talks or use what we have for some other project. 

I remember a couple of years ago that Vagora was parting ways and you started up DeRaven. Not long after that band started, you revived Vagora. What went into that decision? 
Good question. When we decided to put the band to bed a few things had happened at once which made that decision. TB wanted to go which was fine we could have just kept going which was ultimately what we did. Kylie leaving was hard on myself and Jesse I think as we didn't get a lot  of notice and really had no ill will she just decided to go to college 12 hours away. It was a sad/happy thing. Marc our drummer and I had made a decision that we would try to keep the band going but it was just me and him. I really wasn't sure if a new line up would still be "VAGORA" sound wise. So I opted to audition people with the idea of learn the songs and if it dosen't sound like the band we call it something else. Jesse came back into the fold to teach the new guys the songs. He felt like it was time to stick it out and we brought in our former bassist Jonny. All of a sudden it was clear this was still VAGORA.  

Are there any songs from DeRaven that have or haven’t seen the light of day or have had a Vagora makeover yet? 
No songs were ever written for DeRaven as a band. We did a few shows just to work out the kinks but it really was just a way to test out the new line up. I will use the name for a solo release eventually though.

As a musician, you have played with some amazing musicians as well as toured or played with some great bands. In this 2 part question; first, is there anyone that you have played with in the past that you would like to work with either in Vagora or, in another project? As well, is there anyone living or dead, that you would like to work with that you haven’t? 
Kylie Discord I always felt we had more to do writing and performance wise. I'd like to work wth Goolsby I'm hoping that will happen. 

As an artist, what inspires you (movies, music, comics, books, etc.)? What got you into this? 
You know a little of everything inspires me. I started writing songs very young. I always felt it was a gift. A lot of what I write about is stuff that is in my head. Not sure if its things remembered from a past life of God or what again I don't question it I just do what I can with what i was given.

In the past, I’ve asked people their current assessment of the scene. Instead of that, are there any new artists or bands in the Horror Rock/Punk genre that you think people should know? Someone who is exciting you with the music they make? 
I just grabbed up The new 52 Ways CD, awesome band from Georgia. Also The band Blood Shift from Ohio.  We got a great band called  Damnation out of Mass thats a killer Horror band definatly check them out. 

Is there any new releases that you are looking forward to (movies, music, etc.)? 
Defiantly the new Argyle Goolsby CD.  Movies these days are all Princess based as I have 3 daughters so I'm usually waiting to get whatever they want to see. 

Thank you once again for taking the time to do this! Is there any parting words you have for the readers?  
Don't forget who made you. This purple blood leaves stains. K.R.Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment