Sunday 8 November 2015

John Carpenter's Tales for a Halloweenight Volume 1

Okay so, I was reading Previews and came across a collection of stories featuring John Carpenter's name that was to come out on Halloween. Need I say more? It's a short graphic novel that is a quick read and features some great short stories and amazing art to go along with it. It's a great addition to your Halloween night reading material as the tricks, treats and gore are plentiful between the covers. John Carpenter, Steve Neils and others team up to produce such a great read! However, I only have one complaint. That complaint would be the segments featuring the Gatekeeper. Do I have a problem with the character himself? NOPE! The old style art? NOPE! The fact that he reminds me of the Cryptkeeper? NOPE! LOVE IT! I don't like how the page looks. Instead of showing us what is going on it reads more like a script telling us what is going on or how, we should see it. Yes, using your imagination is a good thing but, in a comic book, drawing it out would have been better. I would love to see the different graveyards he visits or maybe his reaction as he is about to tell us another gruesome tale of some unfortunate soul. I think this could work as a movie and the fact that this is a first volume means the possibility of more is great but, I would fix the character and how he is portrayed before moving on. Instead of having the same splash page featuring the same art of him standing there for all 6 stories with different text in his speech bubble. A great read for Carpenter fans or fans of the Cryptkeeper in general. Fix that little problem and, I think, you have gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment